This week is Earth Week. Today (Tuesday) is Earth Day. It’s a good time to think about how we can do more to care for our Mother Earth. We are fortunate to have so many opportunities right here in Cedar Rapids.
Here are some ideas to get you started…
- Go to Eco-Fest! – Eco-Fest is Eastern Iowa’s premiere Earth Day celebration. You can celebrate our eco-friendly community in New Bohemia on Saturday, April 26th from 10am to 4pm. Enjoy some good green fun, live music, local vendors, artists and more.
- Pick up trash. Help set a Guinness Book World Record with others from the community in the I380 Litter Cleanup event on April 26th. It’s an effort to stage the longest continuous litter collection ever! Our community will help neighboring communities clean up The Avenue of the Saints – from St. Louis to St. Paul.
- Recycle more, trash less. Check out the City of Cedar Rapids website to learn just what all you can recycle in your CURBY (your big blue curb-side recycling bin).
- Plant a tree. TreesForever has a guide to help you decide what kind of tree to choose for you situation and location.
- Sign up for a CSA share. Matthew 25 offers Community Supported Agriculture Shares for produce from the Urban Gardens. Enjoy fresh produce every week from late spring through early fall. Your contribution also helps to subsidize the program for Taylor and Time Check neighbors.
Whatever you do for Earth Week, make it a part of your lifestyle, rather than a once-a year effort. If we all do our part the Earth will be just as beautiful for our future generations as it has been for us.